Sunday, January 24, 2010

MTV Guilty Pleasures

I've always thought of people who compulsively watch TV shows on MTV as kind of ... weird? I never saw the thrill to shows like "The Hills" or what was the other one? "Laguna Beach" and now "Jersey Shore"... I just didn't get it. I never really got into them I guess. I would watch shows like "MADE" but I didn't watch them religiously, but when I would happen upon an interesting episode, I'd tune in. However, lately, I've discovered two little "guilty pleasures"

#1 Teen Mom
- I know, it sounds so weird and like something that I wouldn't like, but I love it. It's four mom's Macy, Amber, Catelynn, and Farrah... and they all have such different circumstances. Let me give you a little information if you don't know. Macy and Ryan have a son, they are trying to work on their relationship, but Ryan is immature. Catelynn and her boyfriend (name forgotten! woops!) gave up their daughter for adoption and it seems it has pulled them even closer together. Amber and her boyfriend/fiance aren't doing great. They have a daughter, and they want to be able to be together and happy around their daughter, but they don't want to surround her with an unhappy family... which I think is pretty mature for 16 year olds. And Farrah has not been with "the baby's daddy" on the show (or on 16 and Pregnant) as far as I can tell, ever, except long enough for conception. Also all the girls are in school in some way, which I think is really impressive. I don't know, I really love the show. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, but I still think it's really interesting.

While I really like all the couples the one I'm most interested in as Amber and Gary (ha! remembered his name). I feel like they are both pulling really hard to do what is right for their daughter. And I feel like while Gary is sometimes kind of immature, he's definitely 'trying' to do the right thing most of the time. (In 16 and Pregnant, he bought some really expensive gaming system, and Amber got upset because they had a daughter on the way, anddd he went right back and took it back and felt like a complete idiot, and THEN he bought her an engagement ring.)  Anyway, they're the couple I find most intriguing.

Side note: I'm not sure how I feel about season 2 of "16 and Pregnant"- the girls on this show look to be a little trashier. Plus, there are 10 girls, that seems like it's going to be a lot more to keep up with. I'd rather just keep watching Teen Mom.

New Episodes Tuesdays at 10PM

#2 My Life as Liz
To be honest, I've only seen like two episodes of this show, and I do think it's fairly new, but I really like it. The girl Liz isn't super popular from what I can tell. She hangs out witht he "gamer/emo" crowd (in high school) but she doesn't come off as being like an over dramatic "punk" girl, which is normally how those girls are portrayed. She seems so sweet, and just like someone who never really fit in witht he "popular crowd". Apparently she used to be friends with them sort of, and then they turned on her? Oh, so typically high school. She reminds me so much of someone, but I can't really figure out who. Anyway, I'm really interested in seeing how this show works out. :)

New episodes air on Mondays at 10:30 (Ahh, sweet it's over in time for the 11 news!)

1 comment:

Bex said...

So I don't watch much TV (b/c we cut off our cable to save $). But James and I watch an episode of House before bed every night online. I sometimes watch Family Guy on hulu.
This Teen Mom show sounds kinda interesting and perhaps I could use some more TV in my life. I found that they have full episodes on the MTV website.
SO FYI, in case you miss an episode...you can watch it online.