Saturday, January 30, 2010

Did that really just happen?

So I like many other people in the world who haven't just started going to the gym this month, hate the month of January. Why? Because everyone decides to go to the gym in January (and June FYI- trying to get in shape for the summer, as if you can do so in just a month). Anyway, with these gym "newbies" come some major complaints.

This morning I was at the gym, when I first got to the treadmill room, about 8 of the 10 treadmills were taken. However, in the 40 minutes I was there it emptied out a bit, so I guess this next thing isn't "so big" of a deal. Alas, on about minute 17 of my run girl in pink sweatpants comes in. Girl in pink sweatpants gets on the treadmill. She starts messing with her phone, and I was like," Oh she must be getting her music set up, or finishing a text message before she starts to run." That would have made complete sense, I do that kind of stuff all the time. However, girl in pink sweatpants stands on the treadmill texting for about 5 minutes. Then, I hear someone talking, and I think they're talking to me, so I look over. Color me surprised, girl in pink sweatpants is literally standing on the treadmill having a phone conversation. Really girl in pink sweat pants, really? For minutes 23-26 girl in pink sweatpants chats on the phone merrily, while standing on the treadmill. After she got off the phone, I assume she's going to start actually working out. I was wrong. Girl in pink sweatpants decided to text on the phone for another 5 minutes. REALLY GIRL IN PINK SWEATPANTS, REALLY?! Finally, after about 15 minutes of literally just standing on the treadmill, girl in pink sweatpants starts to walk. I thought she was easing into it since she wasn't walking at a very quick pace. However, after about 5 or 6 minutes, she was still walking at a snail like pace. And I do understand that people need to ease into exercise, or else they could really get hurt but why couldn't girl in pink sweatpants text and talk on the phone, while walking at her snail like pace.

It's very frustrating because people come to the gym as part of a routine, and actually really want to use the machines. And more than once I've had to wait upwards of 10 minutes for a machine because people were just walking and walking and talking on their phones and texting on the machines. If you're not going to actually USE the machine, please get off of it. I consider power walking at least a somewhat justifiable use of a machine, especially when it's obvious that you're just starting to work out. But 2.0 miles per hour is not challenging yourself!!!

No comments: